What you need to know: Updates & Resources
The impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues to evolve daily. We will continue to keep you up to date on changes related to participation in AAAHC programs. For all programs, depending on the survey type, surveys will be prioritized or postponed with a focus on patient safety and patient access to quality care.
What you need to know.
- For all AAAHC accreditation and certification programs, should your actual survey date occur after your accreditation expiration date, there will not be a negative consequence. Specifically, for organizations participating in the AAAHC Medicare Deemed Status Accreditation (MDS) Program, CMS has indicated that this delay will not impact your ambulatory surgery center certification.
- AAAHC has postponed non-emergency Surveys for all MDS and non-MDS programs scheduled for a Survey with a begin date of March 18 through May 1. If your survey has already been scheduled, a AAAHC representative will contact you to confirm your postponement and reschedule your cancelled survey to another day. Survey types included in this category are:
- Routine MDS or non-MDS Re-accreditation
- Special MDS and Special Non-MDS
- Health Plans
- Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) Certification
- Advanced Orthopaedic Certification
- AAAHC will do our best to complete high priority emergency Surveys for all MDS and non-MDS programs. Our ability to do so may be limited by surveyor availability, organization access restrictions, travel limitations, and a myriad of other factors. Prioritized surveys include:
- All discretionary surveys that address: immediate jeopardy complaints (i.e., cases that represent a situation in which entity noncompliance has placed the health and safety of recipients in its care at risk for serious injury, serious harm, serious impairment or death or harm) and allegations of abuse and neglect, and complaints alleging infection control concerns, including organizations with potential COVID-19 or other respiratory illnesses
- Initial/Initial MDS or Reaccreditation/Initial MDS surveys, if seeking a CCN
- Initial Non-MDS accreditation, seeking first time accreditation with AAAHC
- All MDS and non-MDS Early Option Surveys (EOS)
- Any re-visits necessary to resolve current enforcement actions (i.e., MDS Follow-Up, Focused MDS Life Safety) for purposes of closing out the survey event
- MDS or non-MDS re-accreditation surveys of organizations that have a history of Immediate Jeopardy related to infection control
Refresh and deepen your knowledge on infection, prevention and control.
We also want to assure our 6,100+ clients and nearly 300 surveyors that AAAHC maintains a robust business continuity plan to ensure that we deliver exceptional 1095 Strong experience to clients during this time. To support your efforts to mitigate risk of spreading infection, AAAHC is offering a recorded webinar that provides an overview of CDC COVID-19 guidelines and how they relate to AAAHC Standards, with an emphasis on steps to identify, isolate and inform.
The recorded webinar, COVID-19 Risk Mitigation: Identify, Isolate and Inform, and other COVID-19 resources may be accessed below.
- COVID-19 Risk Mitigation: Identify, Isolate and Inform webinar
- COVID-19 Webinar slide deck (pdf)
- COVID-19 FAQs (pdf)
AAAHC Change Notification Form
For service scope changes including temporary closures, suspension and expansion of services directly associated with COVID-19, requirements for submission of the AAAHC Change Notification is waived until further notice.
For all facilities, if your primary contact changes during this time, email AAAHC at email@example.com. We want to make sure we can reach you.
To ensure the health and safety of our employees as well as the communities in which we work and live, effective Wednesday, March 18, AAAHC is instituting an Employee Work from Home policy for our headquarters staff. We are committed to ensuring that this change is as seamless as possible to you.
We will keep you apprised of changes to the current guidance and impacts to your accreditation.
03.17.20, Updated 03.24.20, Updated 03.27.20