Orthopaedic focus on
the continuum of care
AAAHC-accredited ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) may earn Advanced Orthopaedic Certification (AOC). Organizations can choose from two types of advanced certification, total joint or complex spine, or pursue a combined certification that addresses both services. Participation requires that the organization has AAAHC accreditation in addition to the following criteria:
- A dedicated core team of clinicians with education and expertise in orthopaedics
- Staff who have or are working toward orthopaedic certification credentials
- Performance measures that are collected and submitted to a nationally recognized specialty registry
The Advanced Orthopaedic Certification program assesses an organization’s use of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines, ongoing performance improvement strategies, and an organizational infrastructure that promotes excellence. Through an onsite survey conducted by clinical surveyors experienced in the ambulatory orthopaedic setting, this program provides a comprehensive focus on transitions of care from pre-assessment through discharge and rehabilitation.
AAAHC created the program with feedback and insight from an expert panel comprised of orthopaedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, orthopaedic nurses, physical therapists, quality experts, and payers.
Organizations are considered for certification by AAAHC on an individual basis. An organization is eligible to apply for AAAHC certification if it meets the following criteria:
- The specialty service completed a minimum of 20 procedures for each specialty type (total joint replacements, and/or complex spine procedures) within the 12 months prior to submitting an application for certification.*
- The median number of procedures for each specialty type (total joint replacements, and/or complex spine procedures; includes inpatient and outpatient) performed by surgeons participating in the specialty services is at least 50 prior to the date of Application for Certification submission. The median number of at least 50 must be maintained annually.*
- Upon application submission for certification, the AAAHC accredited organization demonstrates good standing.*
*Eligibility will be reviewed and verified at time of survey. Ineligibility will result in survey cancellation.