DATE: July 2018
TO: Quality Managers for AAAHC Accredited Organizations
FROM: Naomi Kuznets, PhD., Vice President & Senior Director
RE: AAAHC Institute 2018-2019 Bernard A. Kershner “Innovations in Quality Improvement” Award Program
Has your organization conducted a QI study that you are proud of and has made a huge impact? If “yes,” we invite you to submit your QI study for consideration for the 15th Bernard A. Kershner Innovations in Quality Improvement Award program. You’ve already done the work and submitted documentation of two studies with your Application for Survey. Now is the time to choose the best one and nominate it for a “Bernie.” We’re looking to recognize excellent quality improvement studies and share them with others. The deadline for submissions is Friday, September 28, 2018, 12:00 pm (noon) Central Time.
The process for submission is relatively fast and easy. An application with the complete Award Program Conditions of Participation can be downloaded at www.aaahc.org/institute OR you can submit your QI study with the AAAHC “10 elements” (Standard 5.I.C) identified and an accompanying QI Study Submission form. Just click on “Institute for Quality Improvement Awards” and then click on the link for the application or the QI study submission form.
The AAAHC Institute has appointed an Expert Panel to review all submissions. The panel will judge submissions for clarity and conciseness as well as these ten elements:
- The issue addressed
- The performance goal
- Data collected (performance measure[s])
- Data collection methodology
- Data analyses and conclusions
- Comparison of initial performance versus performance goal
- The development and implementation of corrective action, and, if necessary, additional corrective action
- Re-measurement, and, if necessary, additional re-measurement
- New current performance versus performance goal
- Methods of communication of the study findings throughout the organization
In addition, the panel will review all submissions for evidence of innovative thinking, working as a team, and examples that can be used in other ambulatory health care settings/for other ambulatory health care issues.
In compliance with HIPAA, no patient identifiers are allowed on the application.
Representatives of the 6 studies that most closely reflect the criteria used by the Expert Panel will receive*:
- Honoraria of $500 (limit 1 per organization, 6 in total) after making poster presentations at Achieving Accreditation in Tampa, Florida, March 15-16, 2019
- Complimentary registration (limit 1 per organization, 6 in total) for Achieving Accreditation at the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina
- An award from the AAAHC Institute on behalf of their organization after making a poster presentation about their study at Achieving Accreditation, March 15-16, 2019
So, please consider entering your exemplary QI study today! Contact the AAAHC Institute for Quality Improvement, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
*The AAAHC reserves the right, if overall submission compliance with criteria is deemed to be poor by the review panel, to forego the 3 actions described above.